Clothing as Identity
Fashion Show by Artisan Designers of Kutch accompanied by Folk Music of Rajasthan
Presented by Craft Stories Under the Mango Tree
Team: Anjana Somany, Bishakha Shome, Anahita Ginwala, Aarti Sundar
A vibrant showcase of ‘Clothing as Identity’ will narrate the diversity as well as unity within the rich cultural traditions of Kutch through its prevalent fashions in apparel and costume along with folk music.Numerous communities migrated to Kutch from Rajasthan, Sindh, Pakistan, Persia, and Africa bringing with them their traditions, costumes, culture and shaped the region’s own unique identity. This vibrant showcase of costumes created by the ‘Artisan Designers’, brings together diverse folk traditions of Kutch on a single canvas with a stylish fusion of craft and contemporary silhouettes. Complex traditional textile techniques and skills: Bhujodi weaves, Block Prints, Bandhani and Dhebaria Rabari embroidery will be showcased in this Show.
As a part of Craft Stories Under the Mango Tree, two spotlight exhibitions titled, ‘Painted Narratives: Preserving History Through the Art of Storytelling’ and ‘Sacred Geometry in Contemporary Miniature Art ‘, will be on display at the Sphatik Art Gallery at Jawahar Kala Kendra from 25-28 January. During this four-day showcase, a variety of craft films, dialogues and performances related to crafts in the performing arts will be showcased at Jawahar Kala Kendra.
Participating Artisan Designers:
- Aslam Abdul Karima Khatri – Ajrakh Block Printing
- Irfan Anwar Khatri – Ajrakh Block Printing
- Abdul Aziz Khatri & Taina Aziz Khatri – Bandhani
- Talah Gulam Khatri & Fahad Gulam Khatri – Bandhani
- Kunvarben Bhikabhai Rabari – Dhebaria Rabari Embroidery
- Sajnuben Pachanbhai Rabari – Dhebaria Rabari Embroidery
- Rajesh Vishramji Siju – Bhujodi Weaving
- Dilip Dahyalal Kudecha – Bhujodi Weaving